By Pat Bell – Midlands Area Working Test Organiser
On 12 May, we held our unclassiﬁed test at Curborough Hall Farm Countryside Centre, a new venue for us and a new activity for them. This was a less formal affair being for puppies under 24 months, novice dogs with novice handlers and veteran dogs, and so the ﬂat grass and wheat ﬁelds and light woodlands were perfect. (Shops and loos were added beneﬁts!)
We welcomed entrants from as far away as Sweden, and Cumbria in the UK, and a couple of golden retrievers ran not for competition. Super friendly and helpful judges were Sally Antram, Paul Egginton and Elaine Whitaker.
Similar tests were undertaken by all classes, with the exception of the puppies doing an obedience type test whilst the other dogs were being tested in a mock drive. All did variations on marks into the wheat ﬁeld, a mark and a blind into the woodland area and a double marked retrieve.
The results were as follows:
- lst – Sue Groom with Littleroe Maud of Plethorn and recipient of the Winner’s Cup
- 2nd – Caroline Hewison with Casblaidd Island in the Sky
- 3rd – Julie Matthews with Ollersett Black Knight
Novice Dog/Novice Handler
- lst not awarded
- 2nd – Alan Moore with Shiraz Pebble and the Pallingforth Trophy for most promising newcomer
- lst – Chris Hewison with Pepsmark Jet Stream at Casblaidd and the Cleovine Cup
- 2nd – Dave Locking with Balkanis Wyken Pippin
- 3rd – Nicky Wellfair with Trephilip River Alchemist
- 4th – Caroline Hewison with Maddistream Indigo Jack at Casblaidd
- CofM — Garry Ellison with Ollersett Sparkling Nymph
- CofM – Graham Clelland with Necessares Rawdon
Many thanks again to the landowners, who allowed us to use their facilities, to the judges for their patience and expertise and especially to my Chief Steward, Bob Davis, and his family without whose help this event could not have happened.
Photographs © were taken by and are used with permission of Steve Smith of Country Shots Photography.